Welcome to Monday, a great week ahead!
Please see the subject detail below:
Short writing opportunity
After reading Chapter 8, pose the question, ‘Do you think Lucien Silver (the man in the suit) is going to be agood or evil character in the novel? Model to the children how to use what we know so far about this character to help us make our judgement - retrieving information from the text. You may want to create a table and place the information in, such as the one below:
- How do you feel when you hear this story?
- How do you think the father felt? The younger son? The elder son?
- Have you ever felt like one of them? When? Why?
- How do you feel about the father, the younger son and the elder son?
- Why do you think they each acted as they did?
- Can you think why the story might be called ‘The Prodigal Father’?
- What does this story tell you about God’s unconditional love?
- In the future, wow might the father’s unconditional love for his son, affect the brother who stayed at home?
- We are going to hold a trial for one or more of the characters in the story. Throughout the trial use ‘freeze frame’ to explain and show an understanding of how the accused has failed to love unconditionally. You will need the following role-players:
- The defendants – son, father and/or brother
- lawyers for the defence and prosecution
- judge and jurors, witnesses for both sides of the argument – servants of the family, friends of the younger son etc. television/newspaper reporters and photographers
- At the end of the trial, the jury will decide who showed or failed to show unconditional love. Take photos/video throughout the trial.
- Imagine you were the newspaper or television reporter at the trial. Write or give a report of the outcomes of the trial and give reasons for these. Record your report on the computer in newspaper format, using some of the photographs to report on outcomes of the trial.
- Compare and contrast the character of the prodigal son when he left and after he had returned. What had he learned from his experience about unconditional love.
Optional Exras: Complete a front page of a newspaper with a headline and recount of the events
Write a diary entry as one of the brothers in the trial.